21 August 2008

Birthday Wishes

Pain. Chronic pain. Pain that sneaks up on me and has no identifiable source. Others don't believe it's as severe as my symptoms indicate. Some don't believe it's even real because they cannot understand it. Living with chronic pain is like living with a shameful secret. I make excuses for myself. Making up little stories that attribute this to lifting too much, walking too much, sleeping too little, making god angry... Anything to give my pain a source and a solution.
It could be a friend I met in college that I don't want to talk to anymore, but she keeps calling me drunk at 2pm while I'm at work, and I just can't convince her she's not welcome to call me anymore without being impolite. I guess the parallel to rudeness here would be surgery. I know what you're thinking. Why not just have the surgery? If anyone has $30,000 dollars they aren't using at the moment, I would like to take this moment to solicit your kindness toward my hip, my lies, my alcoholic college friend.
Consider it a late birthday present.

No comments:

Post a Comment